Sunday, December 17, 2006

What's with this reaction?

Ms Akira's verdict

Toro coolly watching from far away

Bujang's nonchalant answer to the enigma

The kitties reaction to the new addition was quite unexpected. I expected great hissing action with spit, claws unsheathed and fur flying. But what I got was a few hisses and a great deal of curiosity and soft treads. Megat did not hiss nor spit at any amigo. Bujang hissed softly, yelled and ranted a few times and raised his paw once. Ms Akira just hid under the covers and when she had to confront Megat, she hissed and spat and stared him down. Toro followed Megat's progress with rapt attention and hissed once. He was quite relaxed in Megat's presence, more so than he would be in Bujang's. They just treated him as though he was a curiosity and let him be. I wonder why this is. Ms Akira's reaction was the only one that I had expected and got.

I had made several changes to the plan. I put Megat in a other room on the first day but the kitties got very curious and afraid of what was in the room under the covers. So I put the cage out in the living room so they could all get used to each other. This was better as it was no more a big secret. The cage was necessary for everyone's protection. I had also made sure that the blanket I had used to cover the carrier had the family smell. I put it on the bed at night so it had all their smells on it as well as mine. Then when I got Megat home, I had placed him in his cage on this blanket. I think this made a great difference to the reaction that the kitties had to Megat. He smelled like them but looked different. :)

Other than this, I cannot explain this calm behaviour.

1 comment:

  1. Paws crossed. Hope that everyone get used to each other slowly, and Megat doesn't try to be too dominant and make Bujang angry!

    Miss Akira is sensitive, so it will take her longer to come around, and...err...stop vomitting.

    ReplyDelete