Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Scratch the Rat


This must be the very first scratch thingee that I had bought. It was for Bujang when he first began biting and scratching furniture. We used to have a yellow sofa with a cloth cover that Bujang loved to bite and claw. So I bought this in the hope that he would transfer his natural tendencies here. :) Of course he did but the yellow sofa became his sofa. He would sleep on it, play on it, bite it and of course tear the covers. Then Akira came along and it truly became the cat's playground. This scratch mat has seen some good days and is now well-worn and used.

I wanted to get them another so I could place it in another part of the house in case they feel like scratching on something but could not find another just like this. I was at cat-aunty's site and saw the scratch mat she bought for her cats. It was the one that I thought I would buy but now I think no more since her cats don't like it all that much.

The amigos now have 2 scratching posts and of course the cat trees all have sisal for them to train their claws :) No wonder their clawas are all tip-top. :)

They have begun to show much interest in my green couch and the underside (of cloth) is all tattered and I can see more than a few scratches on the headrest and sides.

My mother used to be much bothered by all this but I told her my cats are much more important than my furniture, which I can always replace. Now she is much more relaxed about it and so are the amigos. All we need to do is issue a warning 'EHHH!" and they will stop and pretend that they were not really thinking of doing the furniture harm. they would take one sniff at it and walk away. Pretend only!

5 comments:

  1. I have an old armchair that's not at all comfortable, but each of the four cats in my life (from the time I was 3) has found it wonderful for stretching and scratching. Two were declawed but still loved to rub up and down on the legs. The seat forms a nice bowl for a cat - I keep it for them! The cloth shows little sign of the wear and abuse it recieves even after 30-some years!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I cam see why the Amigos like this scratch mat. It is of a good size, and the material is nice to scratch on. I find the cat poles available locally too short, more like for kittens. Mera and the gang have trees to train their claws on, Spencer and Max have those box type scratch board.

    ReplyDelete
  3. dear cat_aunty
    Once the cat gym falls apart (and I think it will be soon as it tilts worse than the Tower of Pisa) I thought I would put all the poles together and create a tall scratch post for the amigos :)) But of course I will try to save it first lah .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear lambj

    I tried to convince my mother that we should just keep the old sofa and let the cats just thrash it. :)) But it was no go :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear San, that is a good idea. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete