Friday, June 16, 2006

A cat interlude

I finally got a pic of this very fat female at WS. She has been lazing about at S for some time and sometimes I see the patrons feeding her. She has an amiable disposition and doesn't make any noise at all, preferring to laze about under the sun and sometimes under the patrons chairs. No one seems to mind her presence, possibly because she doesn't get under their feet, preferring a little distance between herself and the humans. :)

This is not so for gemok- the cat I am helping to feed. He is very enthusiastic and keeps wanting to follow me. On one of the days, he insisted on following me eventhough I pointedly ignored him and then of course there was a acreaming match between the calico and gemok. I had to be very severe and scolded him and told him to go. There was a man who was clearing his mail and he seemed quite surprised that I spoke to gemok. I figured that he followed me because I was very chatty to him and so today, I fed him and did not chat. I waited for him to groom himself after food before making my way quickly and quietly back. He took one look at me and did not follow. Phew!

I was quite surprised to see the old lady/cat feeder at my block feeding the calico, that I had fed 10 minutes earlier. She said she has been ill and coughing and so she was not at work. She looked kind of frail. She told me she has to wash cups and things at a coffee shop in S.

I assured her that I had been feeding the cats so she was not to worry but requested that she not leave the biscuits at the void deck as there were ants. I had to remove some biscuits tonight as the ants were all over them and this may cause some trouble if the residents complained. I thought that if the cats are fed at night, there was less need to leave the biscuits for them. So I helped her clean up the biscuits.

I also told her that I had replaced the biscuits that she had left for the black cat in the carpark and that I also found ants in them. I think that is why the cat did not eat the biscuits. She told me that she had sprayed insect repellent on the paper that she had placed the plastic container. Maybe that is also why the cat is not eating the biscuits. I told her to put the container in some water so the ants would not crawl all over the biscuits, the water acting as a moat. I read that somewhere in a blog. Anyway, it would also be better for the cat as he may ingest some insecticide himself!

She told me that she would feed the cats during the weekends :)

I noticed that the cats here have different feeders. This morning I saw a white-haired lady feeding them biscuits. Maybe that is why gemok lives up to his name. :) But then better multiple feeders than no feeder. At least I know that if the old lady or I am unable to feed the cats, they would have been fed by someone else in the morning.

They are good cats and the residents do not mind them. For that I am glad.

No comments:

Post a Comment