Monday, June 12, 2006

Cat Feeding Duty


I went to feed the 4 cats today and succeeded in finding only 3. The black cat in the carpark was a skinny one with a crooked tail, bent almost 90 degrees, with 2 kinks. I do not know if it was male or female but it was a very loud cat. I saw that the cat had some more biscuits left and so gave it some canned chicken and salmon. It ate quite a sizeable portion so I am not afraid it would starve :) It had orange eyes which were very pretty - orange eyes on a black cat. Quite a lethal combination.

I had to find the striped dark grey tabby and made 2 rounds of the same block. Then I saw it in the middle of the field pooing. Hahaha. I nearly missed him. She calls this tabby 'gemok' or Fatso and he was rather hefty - much bigger than Bujang but not as tall nor as long. His muscles seemed bunched up like Mike Tyson. He ate 2 cans of chicken dinner and gravy and so slowly too. Possibly he was savouring the food. He ate some then made a few circles around the bowl, then meowed and ate again. Maybe he was looking for his usual feeder as he kept looking up. So I told him she would not be coming and I would be the one doing the feeding duty. He did not comment on that at all. If indeed he was looking for his feeder, it was a touching sight and so I spoke to him for some time before I left. He accompanied me to the end of the sidewalk and then stopped to bid farewell. :) It took him 20 minutes to eat the 2 cans and 2 handfuls of Solid Gold (which my cats refuse to eat).

The calico ate daintily tonight. I hope she won't be hungry. Her usual partner, the greedy light-grey tabby was not about. I waited until 8.45 . Usually he would be there by 7.30 and latest by 8 as the old aunty would be there by that time to feed the cats. I hope nothing happened to him. I hope he found food somewhere else or someone else fed him tonight. He can also be noisy when he is hungry.

The amigos waited for me at the door and welcomed me by sniffing at the bag of cat food. This was because the other 2 cats have been rubbing their scents on the bag. All of them took a good sniff and rubbed their scents over the bag all over again. I guess territory is important wherever you are :). So after I had something to drink and washed, I played with them for a bit. They jumped about so much that they were all tired out in 30 minutes especially Toro. Poor thing! So I put the toy away so they all could get some rest and maybe I would play with them later before bed as I did not bring Bujang nor Toro out to walk the corridor today.

4 comments:

  1. Whah, for how long you have to help the lady feed the cats?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't rightly know. I guess as long as she has a job or maybe for as long as the cats live :)) I didn't ask her about that. Maybe I should have. :X

    She was trying to look for another feeder as she said her son was selling the flat and they were moving to Simei and did ask me if I would take on the routine. I told her that I am not able to take on her usual route and I am sometimes back late. But I did say that I would help feed the cats at my block when I can. She seems like a sincere person who cares a lot about the cats and I thought 1 hour of my time may make little difference to me but quite a lot to the cats. :)

    It did cross my mind that she was trying to make me take care of the cats by this devious way since I don't really know if indeed she has gotten herself a job and I had helped her with the cat food, especially when I read dawn's block at the deviousness of some cat feeders :))

    She wanted me to feed some other cats (some cat's mother) some place else but i told her I would not do that since I don't know the cats nor her route.

    I guess I am the surrogate cat feeder of these 2 blocks - the black cat, the calico, the light grey tabby and gemok - for the long haul :)) If I start giving them names, then I know it for sure..hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, just do what you can. You have to think of the amigos too, and Toro is still young.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well you are right cat_aunty. Once I get back to work which is in one week, it would be a very tight schedule.

    The amigos would be bored to tears if they don't get to play or Toro would not be able to get to the park if he doesn't practise walking in his harness.

    He is quite willing to walk even without Bujang now and the day before yesterday, he had walked all the way to the neighbours door, which is for Toro quite an achievement and also sniffed at their doormat :)) Then he decided he would like to sit on their doormat for a bit. :)) But he is still walking very low. The harness is still weighing him down. So as you said, I will just do what I can.

    ReplyDelete