Thursday, August 03, 2006

Oh What A Good Cat :)














Toro and I went for the microchip appointment at 1 pm today. The vet's office was empty and we had to wait for the vet as she had gone to buy something for herself. I spoke to the assistant about the microchip process. He smiled and said the needle was 'big' but it won't take a long time if the cat is calm. And indeed Toro was very calm at the vet's. He sat in his carrier quietly, watching the goings-on of the assistant. I read a book and we waited...

The vet came in shortly after. She had cut her hair close to her skull so she looked very different. Its Dr LM who is going to do the microchipping and she knows Toro so I was rather comforted by the fact as visions of the 'big' needle stuck in my mind.

We got Toro on the table and he sat and watched the vet. She showed me the 'big' needle. The pic that I have in this entry is not the same needle but it looked similar - almost 5 mm in diameter. I told the doc it should not be difficult iwth Toro. Bujang would be another matter altogether. The assistant and the vet both laughed as yes, they also know Bujang.

She sprayed some liquid on his nape to numb the area. She said it will help him not to feel the pain of the needle quite so much as he would just feel the cold. But she had to do this 3 times as every time she tried to insert the needle, Toro protested and wanted to get off the table. I got out of the way a little as, if something should happen, the assistant would know better what to do. To his credit, Toro did not make a single sound. Finally after the 3rd spray, the assistant had a better grip and the vet inserted the needle successfully. She then held on to the spot for a few minutes and told me that all I had to do was to check that there are no bumps on the skin. By this time, Toro was his usual self and was more interested in the office than anything else.

The vet told Toro that he was a good boy and they both put him in his carrier. He said one 'meow' only when we had to sit outside and wait for me to complete the registration. We were quite amazed that THAT was the only meow he had said and it was more an inquiry chirp than a protest.

I filled in the forms for PET CALL. The assistant said PET CALL would confirm the numbers by email and I was to wait for 3 weeks if they did not emaill me, I should then call them to confirm the details.

The whole process took us 10 minutes. The injection just took us less than 5 minutes. Btw, I decided maybe it would not be necessary to have Bujang microchipped as I can imagine his discomfort and unhappiness and stress levels. I can also imagine what would happen with Bujang at the vet and a syringe with a 5mm needle. So I cancelled his Sunday vet appointment before we left. I do not know if this is a wise thing but for now I would just leave it alone. It seems most people microchip their cats only when they are bringing their cats out of the country.

After the whole episode, I had some mango cheesecake and cafe mocha at Star Bucks and Toro had 30 minutes of people watching. When we came home, Toro and Bujang had a reunion and they both sniffed at each other's noses.

Of course in less than 30 minutes life went on as usual with Toro trying to wrestle Bujang to the ground and grandma yelling "Oi! You've just had an injection and already jumping on Bujang. If he bites you in the neck, what will happen?" :))


4 comments:

  1. Eeek! Hateful needle!!

    Brave Toro! Then Akira and Bujang don't need to be micro-chipped?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That big needle looks very terrifying. I don't think I will send mine for micro chipping unless really necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yup cat_aunty. The needle is too scary and I'm sure the cats can feel the needle. Easier to micro-chip when they are doing the neutering as the kitties would be tranquilised for the procedure.

    If I am bringing the cats overseas, then I would microchip them but not until then. As bujang is always out on a leash, it would not be necessary. Akira needs some supervision as she is curious but I had told my mother to always see if Akira is safe in the house before she opens the door. Toro is not so enamoured of the outside.
    I had just wanted to be safe than sorry but the needle is really 'big'. :/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yup kxbc. I nearly told her 'never mind' and take Toro out but she already took out the disposable needle from the packaging. So I just had to go on with it or rather Toro had to endure it.

    ReplyDelete