Sunday, December 07, 2014

Akira 0.1 Acupuncture Protocol (3)

This morning we arrived at our appointment at 8.40 am and the doctor allowed us into the room to just rest. Akira was suspicious and stayed in her carrier to wait for the doctor. 
            She stayed in here for a full 10 minutes and turned around only once. 
I think she was a little nervous as she knew what was to come. There was another cat in the next room and it did not sound happy although it was not complaining. 
This morning she was wired to some electrodes to stimulate her points. She was very quiet and the doctor said again that she was a nice and friendly cat and not a complaining one. I guess he does not know her when she wants something. Then she would whine at length :). This process took only 10 minutes. After the 10 minutes, the machine played a soft Chinese song. I thought it was to calm her but the doc said that it merely signaled that the procedure with the electrodes was over. :)
                                A close-up with the electrodes on her needles
This morning she stayed close to me but she was relaxed throughout the whole procedure. She meowed only once. Otherwise she kept still while I sang her a lullaby. I think I should just put the lullaby on tape and play it to her when we're there. 
She was eager to leave once she has eaten her TCM mixture. The doc managed to give her quite a lot of it in 3 small doses. I would do the same later. I told the doc that we would give her the TCM in the evening as well and from tomorrow, we would try to give her the meds twice a day as stipulated. The doc took some more pictures of her as well. 

He asked me if there was any improvement. I told him that I had not discerned much in terms of her overgrooming as she stayed in her room much of the time. But I noticed that she was much more affectionate to me and instead of just sitting on my lap at night for our nightly ritual, she would sit close to my chest. He seemed to think this was good progress but I think it's time I look closely at her bald spots. The doc did say that it would take some time and change would come gradually. I think this is as it should be and I told Akira that we would take it slow and easy. We have another appointment in 3 days. 

In other news, it's time for EASY PEASY SUNDAY pictures. 
I thought this 4 would best sum up our week. It had been a very hectic week for us as Tanaka and Akira had their annual checkups and we are changing Tanaka's diet to a renal one although we still give him the usual canned food. Akira had 3 appointments with Dr Oh and we had to figure out the best way to give her the TCM. Bujang and Putih will go for their check ups when our vet comes back from vacation. Putih has been playing a little more and she has a favourite routine on the ESS although we have not had the chance to take any pictures of her rolling her ball about the house. All the kitties have had their treatments with Craig and he had helped them out with their emotional difficulties as well.  But mostly we spend our days just hanging out with family. We give thanks that apart from the usual December checkups and little hiccups, we are all in fine shape. 


Eileen said...

Miss Akira, mum and I are very impressed with your calm and patient manner during your treatments! You do look very relaxed and seem to know that the treatments are really helping you feel better. It is good to hear that you had a good check up. I have a hard time at the vet's even though she is really nice. Meow from Jessica

Katnip Lounge said...

These treatments are fascinating...we are very interested to see how successful they are.

Tom, Tama-Chan, Sei-Chan, Bibi-Chan, Gen-Chan, Vidock, Violette said...

We think that Ms. Akira looks so relaxed during her treatments! We really hope they will help her!

We hope the remaining check-ups will go smoothly.

The Chans

Anonymous said...

2 of our cats had acupuncture with Dr O 4-5 years ago. We had 2 weekly sessions for 8 weeks. One cat was semi-paralysed (we found her that way in a drain) and the other for kidney failure.
Another vet, Dr T also did acupuncture for our cats. He burned some herbs? on the end of the acupuncture needles. Cats were calm during all acupuncture sessions.

Did the sessions work? Our semi-paralysed cat had been that way for many years (probably ran over by a bike) and a cure was not expected and did not happen. The kidney cat remained stable with SubQ and died earlier this year at 17yrs. ; D