Monday, July 04, 2011

Thank goodness its only a bite!

Megat's shaven site where the bite was. The vet had lanced the skin and cleaned it of pus.
Megat getting some shut eye...

The vet confirmed the site as the result of a bite and she squeezed some pus out of it. I did think it was pus as after the panic attack, I relaxed and went to scrutinize the site and saw some liquid ooze out of it. There was also a bad smell. I smelled it last night but did not put two and two together.

He had a 30 minute minor op when the vet sedated him and then lanced the site. She said it was 1 cm deep and she saw 2 puncture holes. I was healed and the other one was the one that caused the infection. I was very relieved that it was just that (although just that was still quite serious). Since he was going to be sedated anyway, I had the vet micro-chip him too.

When he came home, he had a cone and was very unsteady. The vet recommended that I just leave him in the carrier but he was unhappy and so I released him. He kept sliding and slipping all over the floor. But I knew he was hungry as it was past dinner time. He had some dinner and then went to sleep. I cleaned up the wound and gave him one antibiotic- clavamox.

The wound is now clean, with no jagged edges and I think he would be sleeping the night away without me having to make him wear the collar. he didn't even try to lick his wounds at all. We will see about tomorrow but as I would be at work, I may put the collar on him just to be safe.

4 comments:

  1. Oh dear! I'm glad to hear that Megat is doing better. I was afraid that it was something serious. At least the bite is all cleaned out now and he is on the road to recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. og
    h the poor baby. really i am so sorry that Megat had to go thru that and you as well. i'm sorry not to have n]been here but mom broke her right paw and can only type with 1 finger of her left hand. very tiring and a long process.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor Megat! I had one of those owies on my face this spring...and I had a drain tube, too! Get well soon.
    Purrs, Johnny

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poor Megat! You must have been terrified, San. We're glad it was "only a bite" but how did it happen?

    Purrs,
    The Chans

    ReplyDelete