Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Congratulations boys...


















I spent 1 hour yesterday cleaning up all the litter boxes and sifting litter into the new box. I thought I should at least try to save some of the litter in the old box and add it into the new box. This would not only save me money and litter, it would also allow the boys to recognise the old smell so the transition would not be so painful. So I did all this and then I waited...and waited ...and waited. They came and sat in the sink, on the toilet seat, lolled about on the mat but they paid absolutely no attention to the new litter box. ARGHHHH!

To be fair they had also largely ignored the box when it was in the living room after making certain it would not hurt them in any way :)

After 4 hours, the boys had still not figured out that they had a new litter box and none had actually gone to the toilet. I had to think quickly and decided that they needed some obvious pushing. So I took the trusty Da Bird and played with everyone. I lured them all into trying to catch the lure in the litter box. First Toro, then Akira and finally Bujang. I thought I had to convince Bujang first and once he was convinced, the rest would be easy - they would just follow Bujang's lead, which they did. Whew!

Once Bujang felt the litter under his feet, he realised that the white box was just full of litter and he went to pee, with his head stuck out of the U, watching out for an ambush. Admittedly when he was sitting in it, he could not see what was going on outside, which made him a trifle nervous. Then after 10 minutes or so, Toro used it. Akira has yet to make any move to use it but she prefers the one in the kitchen anyway, where the boy's old litter box now is. There is less chance of being ambushed there. I have kept her litter box (also the biggest in the pet stores) away in storage.

The good thing is, there is less litter outside the box, the boys can dig however much they want and not much litter would fly out from the sides, they could turn around and bury their business comfortably. The old litter box (the biggest from many pet stores) did not allow them to do any of this.

The two litter boxes are of different brands - the biggest of their brand (or so the pet store people tell me)

The bad thing is, I have to stretch out more when cleaning the rather bulky box.

But I think this is a small price to pay for comfort (for the boys) and less flying litter (for me) to clean. :))
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. Yup. Hurray! I was quite relieved when it happened too :)

    ReplyDelete