Thursday, March 23, 2006

Meditations on the 3 furry Furies

I do not know how I became a multi-cat household. I would like to say that 'it just happened'. There is some truth to that as a lot of multi-cat or even single -cat households would agree. When I had cats before, we used to live in a kampung, so the cats would just hang-out in the neighbourhood and there would be a lot of wide open spaces so they would not have to fight for space and certainly not supremacy. No one was the Supreme Commander. Everyone just kind of live and let live. :) Now of course Toro is trying for this title but with little success...as yet. I feel a little guilty about this and also a little sorry that the 2 rascals have to live with crazy Toro but I do not think giving him up is the answer to this perennial cat problem in all multi-cat households.

So instead I try to make life a little easier and give little treats where they would all eat a nice bit of tuna at the same time in the same space. I think this might encourage them to believe that good things happen when they are together. They all get some play time although Toro is a one-cat show at this and would rob everyone of their equal time. So after some time, I would have to put Toro in his carrier and play with the other 2. I notice that Toro gets tired fairly quickly. He used to get tired after about 5 minutes before but now it is better and he tires (and pant sometimes) after about 15 minutes.

The other two have learnt to take turns. Toro still has to learn this. Maybe once he learns this (it's very slow) things will get better. Probably I expect him to learn in double time when I should have more patience. It took Akira and Bujang about 3 months to learn to play togther and about 5 months to learn to groom each other. It has only been about 1 1/2 months that Toro is here and I think it has gone rather well considering that it has been such a short time. :))

They say animals especially cats will teach you patience. I think the 3 amigos are very good teachers then. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment