Sunday, May 24, 2009

11 year-old doggie for adoption

Boy Boy is 11 years old and recovering from a skin ailment
His eyes are not wide open because he got bitten by fleas..

But the rest of him looked well and healed...





I was waiting for the results of megat's blood test when I was offered a curry puff (by the people at the vet) and I gratefully ate it. Then as I was reading Letters to My Daughter by Maya Angelou, which I recommend highly, I was offered some water. It was very kind of the people at the vet to offer me something to eat and drink. I was sitting on my mat outside, on the grass with Megat. Then I saw an old lady on a bicycle with 2 dogs- one on a leash (BoyBoy) and one not. She spoke to the vet assistant and then she saw me sitting. She offered me her dog!!
"Is that a dog?" she asked. I told her that it was Megat and when she saw that Megat had a brown toy doggie, she said that Megat was very lucky and I must love him very much. She then launched on sad tale of a dog that was as good as abandoned. This dog, BoyBoy used to belong to a young couple who then abandoned him in the care of their father. But the father was very old and cannot take the dog out. So he paid the old lady to take care of his dog but the lady herself is not able to take care of the dog as she has not been paid for its care - food etc. The lady also took the dog to the vet and got him meds to take care of his flea problem using her own funds.
It seemed that the dog was a victim of flea bites and his eyes were so swollen that he could not see. She brought him to ARC and now his skin was better and indeed I saw that his skin was clear of fleas. He was very clean and the only evidence of flea bites was the fact that the doggie could not open his eyes wide.
The lady said that the owners wanted to euthanise him because they wanted to move house but she offered her help. But now she could not take care of this dog as she has her own dog to tae care of and it is getting very expensive to keep 2 dogs.
She asked me if I wanted the dog but I told her that was not possible as I have 5 cats. I can just imagine the amigos' shock if I appear with a dog and anyway I can't have a dog in the house. I did say I would try to publicise this offer to people and if anyone wants to adopt such a nice dog, I would tell the vet and they could get in touch with her.
Throughout the whole conversation BoyBoy was very well-behaved and stood still. He did not bark or anything and she said he was very active too.
So if anyone knows of anyone who would like a rescue dog, please post a comment. Thanks.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous11:20 AM

    Poor BoyBoy, what misery to be in that condition.
    A well-behaved dog is so much easier to live with than a yappy trophy dog. We adopted a bald 10yr old small dog from spca 5 yrs ago, and that dog is THE best pet ever! Dog repaid in affection, fun, laughter 1000x over even though dog is frail now.

    I cannot take Boy as our dog has heart condition and needs peace and quiet. I do like to try to encourage others to give Boy a chance - 1 yr, 2 yrs - every yr will a bonus for Boy.
    Our next dog will definitely be a dog like BoyBoy.

    ReplyDelete