Saturday, May 09, 2009

Goodnight Saturday

Rocket Tanaka on the first few days he was with the amigos...




I saw this picture of Tanaka (then named Ginger) when I posted the Vesak Day entry. It reminded me of those long days when I was frantically trying to find him a home as I already had 4 cats. Where would I keep one more cat? I called everyone I knew and no one called back. I had a potential adopter and was going to give him up when I was told that she was going to leave him alone for long hours as she had school!! So we kept him :)


This also reminded me of what had happened early this week. I had offered to help a 13-year old take his 2 sick cats to the vet and pay the vet fees. Then later during the day, he told me that his mother was going to bring his 2 cats to the vet. All good, I thought naively. The next day, I asked him about his 2 cats and he said the cats had escaped! 2 sick cats going about the hdb estate uncared for! I was very angry at first but decided that it was probably not his fault. I suspected that his mother had abandoned the cats as the family could not afford to pay for vet bills. It seemed that the cats had been sick for a whole month although they can eat and walk a little. I settled for telling him the harrowing things that could happen to any abandoned cat and made him promise not to keep cats anymore since he could not afford it.


So when I chanced upon Tanaka's old pics, it made me really sad for the 2 abandoned cats but am very glad that Tanaka is with me, sleeping on his blanket, with our new air-conditioning system. And tomorrow I would still be glad when he chases Ms Akira and aggravates grandma about the washing machine :)

3 comments:

  1. Tanaka is beautiful. What an adorable kitty. Hopefully the two cats that escaped are thriving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Tanaka certainly was lucky, and that photo is absolutely adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi San, just wanted to say hello from Texas in the U.S. I've been following your amigos for over a year and enjoy your photos and stories. I have three amigos myself so I recognize the mischief that your cats get into. Just wanted to check in and send good wishes your way.

    ReplyDelete