Tuesday, December 18, 2007

The Vet's Verdict - of stools and digestive problems

You are believing the vet?

Yesterday I found some blood in Toro's stools and today we went to the vet. After many questions about his toys (I always keep his da bird after we play with it) the vet said she suspected that there may be some trouble with his big intestines (after having over ruled small intestine issues). She also felt his underside and told me he had some stools and they seemed to be hard ones. Then she put on her gloves (ouch) and proceeded to extract a stool sample as I had been unable to get a sample for her the whole day!

She told me that his stool was hard but there was no evidence of blood on it. I told her that yesterday his stool was soft and there was a small blob, about 5 mm of blood (red) on it. Hmmmm.... with the evidence in front of her, and after knowing his diet, she told me he might either be 1. allergic to something he ate (so I am to give him one thing at a time) or 2. He may be constipated.

So the verdict today is that he is to eat his FALKAMIN only- a purely protein supplement (ya..as if he would do it) or if he refuses I would have to force-feed him his FALKAMIN for 3 days after which I have to give him only wet food mixed with hot water for 7 days and then one dry food only for the next 7. Needless to say, Toro had vomitted all of his force-fed FALKAMIN. Then he gets to meet the vet again.

I knew FALKAMIN and Toro would be a challenge and indeed it was. I only have 3 days of this to get through. :}

Toro was tired after all that activity and he spent the rest of the time on my bed grooming himself and resting. Meanwhile cousin R and I have some scratches we need to see to :)


Sensitive soul at dinner...
I also brought Ms Akira and asked questions about her frequent vomitting. Since the vet already knew about their habits, toys and food, she said that it could be that she is experiencing some blockage due to some undigested food and whenever she eats, it gets blocked and she would vomit the undigested pellets. She said the only worrying part was she may have irritated her stomach lining and the acid could play havoc with her throat linings too. Then she asked me if Ms Akira was the nervous sort of kitty and she nodded when I said yes. She also asked me if Ms Aira gets bullied. I told the vet that she bullies the other cats. The vet was quite surprised at that. Anyway Ms Akira gets Polysilic Suspension which she needs 30 minutes before food and 1/4 X 2 tablet of Cimetidine 2 hours after food. THAT is going to be a challenge. If I can get through 10 days without Ms AKira killing me, THAT would be something. :/
Ms Akira is supposed to have only 1 dry food for a start...just until we figure out what it is she might be allergic to. She also get Bach Flowers for Aggression :)
By the way, after we got home and after the whole episode of the FALKAMIN, Toro decided he would go to the loo and indeed there were soft stools and yes, I could see a faint trace of blood on them. :(

4 comments:

  1. Hmm...good luck with the medication, and hope the kitties recover soon.

    Have a happy Hari Raya Haji !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no!!!

    How are you going to cope??

    I read that if you raise the food bowl while they eat, the cats are not as likely to vomit afterwards.

    ReplyDelete
  3. While they eat? or put the bowl on raised plaform? I think it would be rather difficult to do that while they're eating :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous4:32 PM

    Hi
    I have a mini schnauzer who has a weakened liver ... and she is solely on Falkamin too.

    I syringe feed her the food (since its so watery) through the side of her mouth...

    My vet has also asked me to try supplements for digestion (the kind humans take..)

    Hope your cat gets well soon. Pets are such darlings to us.

    If you wanna meet my dog, her name is Jujube and you can see her here
    www.deechan.com/space.

    ReplyDelete