Sunday, April 25, 2010

FatBoy and decision

FatBoy looking at the world. This is what FatBoy looks like now.

I brought FatBoy to a*** last Friday for his SubQ. I decided that it would be wiser, after the advice by many, that i first take him to the vet to get him used to the procedure. I told the vet Dr Lim about my experiences in MP and showed her the test scores. She asked me some more questions and asked me to request for the report to be faxed to the clinic. Then she spoke to him and did the SubQ very quickly. She said FatBoy was a nice kitty and was pretty confident that even I can do the SubQ later :)

We brought him home 30 minutes later and the auntie was still waiting for us at the void deck. then some other resident came down to chat with FatBoy (who was lazing about at this time). She said FatBoy liked the man and he would sit to watch the man wash his car like some guardian angel :) She was still teary and continued to wipe her tears quietly as she told me that FatBoy was abandoned by his family a long time ago and how she wished he would have a happy life to the end. I gave her some renal formula for him and told her that the only dry kibble that he should get is this. Of course he has many people who would feed him and I would have no power to stop everyone from feeding him all manner of things and as a community cat, he must be able to find his own food.

I decided to take him back again to a*** as it is closer to my home and if I am going to try ferry him to and fro to the vet, it would be better to go to T than to the EC. I know the practice and I am comfortable with the vets. I think they have a no-euthanasia policy (although I am not 100% sure). I know I may have to put FatBoy to sleep some time in the future if his condition worsens but I will think of that when I am there.

I have decided to try to do the SubQ for him whether by myself or bring him to the vet. I think he is much too lively and friendly to be put to sleep right now and he is still at a good weight and temperament. The vet said we could try to attend to the kidney problems first with meds and SubQ sessions and when it was at a more acceptable level, we would see to the tooth decay problems. I think it is his teeth that is giving him more immediate problems and as his other organs were functioning well, I think we would see if we can manage his kidney problems too.

I had already made up my mind to try to help Fatboy even before I spoke to the auntie last Friday until I was certain that nothing else could be done for him. He comes to dinner without fail so I don't think I would have trouble giving him the meds. I know he really hates the carrier and yelled very loudly when I had to put him into it. He has wised up tremendously and so I think I would have some trouble getting him into the carrier tomorrow for his SubQ and review at the vet. The vet is going to help him get used to the carrier by giving him food after the SubQ so he would not be so angry as he knows there will be a reward so I would bring him some renal kibble tomorrow too.

3 comments:

  1. As long as he is still eating, I support your decision to continue his medication.

    When the time is up for him, I think he will tell you in his own way so that you can help him ease his pain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:19 PM

    Presently we have 5 kidney cats (all are 12yrs & over). 4 kidney cats passed away. Our "longest" kidney cat (14 yrs) has kidney problem for past 7 yrs-his creatinine is within normal range with Sub-Q and Fortekor. Kidney can be managed if the Maker agrees too. Some of our kidney cats had surgeries (more serious than tooth decay) and they survived. Do not put down a kidney cat until there's that "ammonia" smell associated with end-stage kidney failure or when cats are unable to hold food down for a while. Kidney, like FIV is not necessary a death sentence if there are caring people like San around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:15 PM

    a*** does euthanasia but only if it is necessary to do so.

    ReplyDelete