Friday, September 14, 2012

Totoro Thursday on Friday

Toro at hospital yesterday 13 September. He was curious as to the little noises that he heard. It transpired that there was a hamster in the cage beside him! It was robustly running in its exercise wheel and ruffling through its tray that was full of shredded paper:)
Test results on 12 September that prompted Dr Ly to hospitalise him again
His pcv was 22% from 20% on 11 September.

Dr Ly's plan for Toro was to keep him in hospital in the morning to flush out his kidney and for me to bring him home at night where he would be able to rest and relax somewhat since he gets stressed when he stays overnight at hospital. So that was what we did. 

This morning I brought him to hospital before I went to work and later I would bring him home, at about 7.30 pm. We have to do this for about a week. I am glad tomorrow is a weekend so we do not have to rush about.

When I saw him yesterday, he was alert and gave me many headbutts and purred when I brushed his coat. The nurse on duty told me that he had peed once only and that was a little worrying. They gave him food intravenously so he won't throw up but he ate a few of his renal kibble from my hand, which made me very glad evenso.

His values remained the same as on the 12th and although it was stable, it was not the best values to have but I am grateful that he was in a place where help is available 24 hours a day. He was breathing rather heavily and I was told that if he pees more, he would breathe more easily and another reason for the heavy breathing was that his kidney has to be continuously flushed. It was a little frightening for me to see him breathing so hard and I was thinking of the cats that I would need to have in case he needs another transfusion!

When he came home, he was as curious as ever but I was instructed to see if he peed at night and how much pee he had. I was all ready to have an all-nighter when I realised that I could put him in Ms Akira's room with a litter pan so it would be easier to keep track of in case I fell asleep and this was what we did. It was not a good plan as he was restless and slept fitfully. He kept sniffing at the litter box but did not get in it. At 4 am I decided to we should go back to the bedroom and then I put him near the litter boxes. After a few minutes, he got in the box and peed for some time. It was quite a puddle.

I also had to give him his vitamin C injection at home through a plug that they had fixed on his foreleg. This had to be given s_l_o_w_l_y as if not he might vomit. I would have to do this for 5 days, at 10 pm.

This morning, I gave him only his painkiller, fortekor and azodyl as he was breathing very hard and I did not want him to choke on anything else. I did not try to syringe feed him as well as he was wheezing.

However, he was quietly chatty in the cab this morning and looked out of the window constantly. When we got to his room, there was a little kitty already there. It was nice that he would have a friend there but of course it was not the best thing for the both of them to be there at all in the first place.

They would take another test later  today to see his kidney values.


Anonymous said...

Thank you for the update San.

Get better real soon Toro, *sayang sayang*.

Will continue to send distant purrayers. Take care too San.


Anonymous said...

Praying for Toro to get well.

Anonymous said...

Hi San

Is there any concern on the heavy breathing and wheezing? I am just worried that there may be fluid in his lungs. Do keep him warm at home. You can use the hot/cold press available from pharmacy and put near his sleeping area.

Take care toro and San.


Tom, Tama-Chan, Sei-Chan, Bibi-Chan, Gen-Chan, Vidock, Violette said...

We had been waiting for an update so thanks for posting! Poor Toro-Chan! He has to go through a lot, but we are crossing all our paws that the wonderful care he is getting will make him much better.

The Chans

The Lee County Clowder said...

Totoro, we didn't know you were feeling poorly. Sending healing purrrrrrrss and comforting purrrrrayers to you and San. Get better, OK?